Tuesday, May 20, 2008

the end is here...

Well, I guess it actually has long since come and gone, considering my last post was more than 2 months ago and I got back in early April. Sorry 'bout not really, you know, mentioning that...

The guilt from not posting and shutting things down, however, has been building for a while, and I've actually been waiting until I could close the book with one final coup de grĂ¢ce and, rather than just saying "Bye! Ya'll have fun now y'hear?", I thought I would let you know what I've been more or less doing, or at least waiting for, until this past weekend.

Throughout this past year, Ben, Paul, and I have received a lot of interest from people in the US wishing to help out with the school. At the school, there is an awful lot of helping out that could use doing. Where we finally ended up on all of this is the creation of a charity non-profit, the Students for the Advancement of Learning and Medical Aid, or SALAMA: Tanzania. This plan has been a long time coming, and its been a pretty lengthy process getting it all done, but we're coming right along. Our 501-c3 status (what lets us take tax-deductible money) with the IRS is still pending, but a couple key things have developed:

1) We can accept money. Some folks over at Bien Moyo have been gracious enough to develop an initiative to accept funds on our behalf. Awesome.

2) We have a website. That means that you can check out whats going on, what exactly we're about and trying to do, and, even better, give an address to anyone you might run into who may have an interest in helping out to improve these kids lives. Double awesome.

Without futher ado, here's the site:

www.salamatanzania.org or www.salamatanzania.com

I hope you get a chance to check it out. And lastly, thanks to everyone who read this over the past year. It really means a lot that people have shown continual interest despite my complete lack of regular posting. Thanks for everything, and I hope to hear from you soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stumbled across your blog after my own recent move to Dar. Love the comments and that you too have lived in the wonderful accomodation provided by Mr. Chacha.

Anonymous said...

quite interesting read. I would love to follow you on twitter.